Monday, October 31, 2005

Classical Cravings

I've been jonesing for some classical lately which is a problem for me. I bought a book to get myself some learnin' on the subject but it left me on my head. I keep returning to this simple album by Edgar Meyer. He plays Bach's beautiful Unaccompanied Cello Suites on his very capable double bass.

No doubt some would consider this a gimmick but what is a genius double bassist supposed to do? This album in no way diminishes the depth of Bach's work, it simply presents it in a different skin. I love the texture of the stringed instruments and the bass has so much silk and grit to it...I could listen to Meyer play almost anything. But this is Bach and the disc has most of what I crave when I crave classical.

I love opera too, but I've said too much already. Posted by Picasa

No comments: